In pursuit of happiness
Am I happy?
Is that a question you ever ask yourself? If you do, what exactly does happy mean to YOU?
Is happiness relative to your circumstances – so if your life has lots of challenges, and obstacles, are you going to find it much harder to be happy?
The truth is, no one really knows. Some people never question it, they simply accept their lot, and say ” that’s life” and never contemplate the concept.
Some on the other hand, spend their life in pursuit of happiness, never really finding it as they don’t actually know what they are looking for.
So, is there a middle ground?
I think so. Accepting that perfection does not exist, is the first big step towards that elusive feeling.
You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.
Ultimately, happiness is a collection of bigger picture moments, and much smaller fleeting moments that come and go throughout the day.
So what are the bigger picture moments? Here are some examples
- You notice that on more mornings than not, you wake up looking forward to the day and excited by whatever lies ahead. Not full anxiety, with a head full of lists and worries about the day ahead.
- Looking at your life partner, and just KNOWING they are the one.
- Pride in your children, for the kind of person they are growing up to be.
- Pride in yourself, for what you have achieved or the kind of person you are
- Your heart being full at seeing people come together and feeling like you are part of something – this could be a concert, a sporting event or a festival
Those big picture moments are important. Stop, absorb, soak them in.
But what about the little things?
Often, it’s the little moments that escape unappreciated in modern life, because we are all on the go, for so much of the time. Making time to appreciate those, will just take 30 seconds of your day. As a result, you will train your mind to notice the more positive things around you.
Mine, in no particular order are
- the smell of freshly brewed coffee first thing in the morning
- the way my Yorkies react to being told they are going on a walk
- couples looking happy, and being affectionate to each other in public
- seeing someone help an elderly person in any way
- hearing my daughter sing in the shower
- a ray of sunshine streaming into my bedroom as I am waking up
- crisp fresh white sheets
- any signs of spring
and so many more…
The trick is to stop, just for a second , and LET yourself feel that moment of joy. The more you do this, and the less you take for granted, the more those little moments will add up to your overall feeling of happiness.
Because often, happiness is already within us, we just need to stop and take the time to feel it.
So what are your little things? What gives your heart a little squeeze and makes you feel joyful, even if just for a second? Please share them with us, we would love to know!
Maria is a Therapeutic Life Coach, Business Coach, Photographer & free spirit. Multi passionate, logical, creative, and an extrovert introvert. Fascinated by people, psychology and most at home by the sea. Foodie & dog lover.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Welcome, we're so glad you are here! We are Maria & Wayne, and we welcome you to our little corner of the Internet.
Come right in and look around!
TELL US YOUR STORY
Have something to share? We would love to hear from you.
OUR PODCAST JOURNEY
Follow us as we embark on the journey to start a podcast!